The Daily Routine
In Ayurveda, the importance of a consistent daily routine can’t be underestimated. A Routine sets the tone for your entire day, bringing a sense of calm and well-being. It gives the body, mind, and spirit the chance to ground and cleanse, to start afresh. Sound like something you’d like to do for yourself? Get started today in whatever way you can!
Wake Up at the Same Time. Keeping to a scheduled wake up time gets your body and mind
set in a rhythm to gracefully begin your daily activities.
• Scrape Tongue: Use a tongue cleaner to remove the bacteria-filled coating on the tongue and
to stimulate the digestive system.
• Brush Teeth: Try Tooth Powder, a fluoride-free combination of herbs and minerals for oral hygiene.
• Oil Pulling: Swishing and gargling with Daily Swish helps strengthen the teeth, gums, jaw, and voice,
while improving the sense of taste. Swish it in your mouth for anywhere from 5–20 minutes.
• Rinse Face, Mouth, and Eyes: A splash of cool water is soothing and rejuvenating to the face, mouth, and eyes. It brings a sense of freshness to the body and mind. • Warm Water Drink: A glass of warm water cleanses and awakens the digestive tract, hydrates the tissues, and encourages a bowel movement.
A bowel movement each morning is a sign of a healthy digestive system. If you are not eliminating daily, be sure your diet includes of plenty of fluids and fiber. And to support regular bowel movements, try taking triphala (Colon Rx) at night (see evening routine).
Self-Massage (Abhyanga), Ear Lubrication, and Nasal Lubrication
• Self-Massage: This is a profound practice of rejuvenation and loving self-care. Performing a self-massage with warm oil calms the nervous system lubricates and rejuvenates and promotes healthy circulation. Daily Massage Oil is a good choice for abhyanga.
• Ear Lubrication: Place 1–2 drops of warm Ear Oil in each ear.
• Nasal Lubrication (Nasya): Place a few drops of Nasya Oil in the nose.
Showering will cleanse the body and bring energy and alertness to the being. Having done a self-massage, rinsing the skin with warm water will generally suffice to remove excess oil.
Take some time for a self-enhancing practice. This can be meditation, pranayama (breath techniques), yoga, journaling, prayer, or other activities that bring well-being to your spirit and mind. The more you allow for these types of practices, the greater the benefits.
Eat Regular Meals
• Irregular meals and excessive snacking can weaken the digestive fire.
• Whenever possible, consume your largest meal at noon (lunch time). This is when your digestive fire is at its strongest, and you will be able to derive the most nutrition from your meal.
• Favor warm, cooked meals, in accordance with the doshas you want to balance and the season.
• Focus on eating without any distractions.
Take Triphala (Colon Rx) with Warm Water, 1 Hour Before Sleep
Triphala is a traditional Ayurvedic formula (ColonRx) and is revered for its unique ability to gently cleanse and detoxify the digestive tract while replenishing, nourishing, and rejuvenating the tissues. It supports healthy elimination upon waking in the morning.
Keep a Regular Bedtime
A scheduled bedtime trains the body to know that it is time to wind-down and recuperate.
Promoting Healthy Sleep
If you want to support healthy deep sleep, consider a warm bath, a warm glass of milk with nutmeg and cardamom, or herbal support such as our Designs for Health Sleep products.